Saturday, April 6, 2024

Final Edits!

Hey guys welcome back! Today, I wanted to talk to you about the final edits of my project. I have finally finished editing everything and it looks amazing. I'm very proud of what we've done with this project. 

Since there were a lot of clips to download, they couldn't be sent through messages because of the size of the files. Because of this we sent them in an email, and I had to download them one by one and put them into a folder on my laptop. Although this took me around 15 to 20 minutes, it helped me organize my footage before beginning to edit. Once I put it in the folder I split the footage into three more folders: Javier’s interview, Isabella’s interview, and the b-roll. 

Now it was time to get into the editing. While editing, I did quite a few things to tweak the original video. For one, I brought down the exposure by-3. This made the clip more natural and more appealing to the eye since the lighting in the room we filmed in was a little bit too much. Another thing that I did to all the clips was increase the audio gain on all the clips. This made it so that you could hear Javier in the interview more clearly and louder. I had to also add music in the background. It took me a while to find the right music for this documentary because I couldn't find many sounds that gave off an inspirational and happy mood at the same time. None of them could really fit, until I found the perfect music. 

Because I added music, it was important to increase the audio gain of the original clips and to lower the audio gain of the music to make it so that the music doesn't take over what is being said. I've had some projects in the past that had this problem so this time I made sure to make the sound as clear as possible. 

Another thing that I did was cut out the interview question. Since we were doing indirect interviews, we had to cut out the question being asked so that we only see and hear the subject and not the interviewer. This made it a lot smoother since it looks more natural. Also, when adding the b-roll into the timeline, I immediately cut out the sound. This is something that doesn't necessarily need sound since it's only for the visual. That way, you could still hear Javier speaking in the background while the b-roll is playing. 

While editing I realized that we filmed a little bit too much. We were so scared that we weren't going to have enough footage, that we ended up filming too much lol. This isn't such a problem because the more footage we have, the more things we can play around with. Overall, this editing experience was very pleasant. I was really invested into the editing that I ended up editing almost all of it in one afternoon. I'm very excited to show you guys the finished result but sadly, you can't see that until next week. 

To make up for that, here is a sneak peak of my timeline: 


Thank you so much for tuning in and I hope you have a great rest of your weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

Our episodic documentary 'Make It Happen' works to develop the idea of the immigrant experience of establishing a company in the US....