Saturday, February 25, 2023

Representation

Happy Saturday everyone! 

Today I wanted to talk about the representation of under-represented groups in my project. Recently, I came up with the idea to cast somebody of the hispanic ethnicity as my main character. I did a little research on the hispanic representation in Hollywood and the results surprised me. 

Hispanics/Latinos Are Rarely Cast In A Lead Role

Just 7% of major films in 2019 featured a lead Hispanic or Latino actor. When it comes to speaking or named roles, about 6% of characters cast that year were Hispanic or Latino — not even a full percentage increase in representation when compared across the total 13 years of hit films.

Hispanic and Latino characters continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes

When they are seen on screen, Hispanics and Latinos are often typecast in roles that involve criminality, poverty or immigration, according to the USC report. More than one-third of lead Hispanic and Latino actors in 2019's biggest movies were depicted as criminals.

In my film, I will be casting my main character as a good guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time to show the world that this should not be a stereotype. My friend Santiago Fermin who will be playing the main character is Columbian as well. The character will be somebody that was born in Washington DC but ethically Columbian with the dream of becoming a government agent. 


I will be showing that he is hispanic because when he is being interrogated, he will say some words in spanish. Latinos/hispanics are not represented well in this genre and especially in the lead roles so I think that it would be a GREAT idea to incorporate this into my project :)
Here is the link to the website I used for my research:


Hope you guys have had a good weekend and i'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

Our episodic documentary 'Make It Happen' works to develop the idea of the immigrant experience of establishing a company in the US....